Now there are 4

Now there are 4

Monday, July 16, 2012

"You'll Sleep in 30 Years"

This is a phrase I hear (often) from my mother.  I remembered this as I laid down for a nap today, #1 watching a movie during quiet time with Husband, #2 napping in the boys room, and #3 sleeping in the swing in our room.  She says this when I (frequently) complain about being tired.  I suppose she's right, there are certain things you have to give up, or at least partially, when you decide to have children, sleep being one of the most crucial and first to go.  I do keep in mind however that I am getting much more sleep then I have in the past four years.  #3 still sleeps pretty well, in the swing, and so I am getting about six hours a night of combined sleep.  This in our house is a miracle even though to most this doesn't appear to be much (#3 is back to waking every 3 hours to nurse).  Back when #2 was born, or rather, when he turned 4 months old, like #1, he started to wake every hour, on the hour to nurse.  Between him feeding and #1 waking 2-3 times a night with night terrors and colds, I was literally getting 1-2 hours of interrupted sleep a night.  That's right 1-2 hours TOTAL.  On top of that I was working a little more then part time.  It was miserable and it's alwasy in the back on my mind. So I am thankful I have a "good baby."

As I was (supposed to be) sleeping, I started thinking about all the other wise advice my mother has given over the last couple of years.  Most of it has been helpful:

-  You're the boss.  - I remind myself of this when I try to put #1 or #2 on timeout and they won't listen.  It helps to keep me going in the face of adversity.

- It's not your job to entertain them. - LOVE this one.  Especially when I start to feel like I'm not doing a good enough job providing stimulating, educational activities.  Because, as you know, parents are obsessive about making their kids smart by teaching them everything early, like the ABC's and how to read, instead of giving them enough free play and letting them use their imagination.  I am so thankful we have an acre of land and the boys can enjoy the outdoors in our own backyard.  Here is a list of things Husband has built/added to their play area.  Seriously, it's like a playground and we really don't ever have to leave expect to get groceries if we didn't want to.  However, we do leave because I need a change of scenery:
  • Swings
  • Tire swing (this is favorite and added this year)
  • Playhouse (or rather a hotel for little kids, it's THREE stories)
  • Balance beam
  • Teeter totter (Husband built this using a stump as the pivot) 
  • Rock box (last summer Husband and I swept up 15, 5 gallon buckets of pea gravel off the road)
  • Childsize picnic tables
  • Lots of toys
  • Oh, and part of a garden box for digging
- He's a baby, he's not doing it on purpose. - I must confess, I am not in love with newborns.  I find them pretty difficult and frustrating.  If you think two year olds don't listen, try a newborn.  They don't eat or sleep when you want them to.  They cry, sometimes for no reason.  I have had to repeat this to myself many a time while walking the floors with a crying baby. 

- I don't know what you should do, I had girls first. - This one is particularily unhelpful (sorry Mom!).  My boys, are well, boys.  And with this comes a lot of aggression, acting out, and energy.  Not bad of course, but as my mom puts it, different.  I love having these boys, but it does come with challenges, and challenging behavior.  Add stubborness to the list and I have my hands full.

We will of course end with a picture.  Can't get enough of these guys!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I think knowing how to entertain one's self is an important skill. Way to teach your kids how to be awesome!

I bet we will get sleep before 30 years. I hear teenage boys only ever want to sleep. Your boys are adorable and you are rad. I think of you all the time, in a non creepy way.